Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Timpano Roto

So as on every morning, we went out today to catch some early waves. It was a nice change in that most of the locals weren't out and it was mostly mellower gringos out on the water. The past few days have brought some big swells (~9ft) to Sayulita and that seemed to bring out many many locals who were all incredibly aggressive in catching the waves. This made it a bit intimidating and frustrating for us beginners, any wave worth catching was always claimed.

But this morning was much better, fewer people, less locals and more surfers at approximately our skill level. I started getting used to the long board I decided to rent after giving up on the shorter and thinner board I bought at a bargain earlier in the week. Things were starting to come together nicely until as I bailed off a wave I hit my ear perfectly against the water. Much pain ensued along with the new found ability that I could exhale through my right eardrum. Hrmm, this didn't bode well.

Sayulita has been developing over the past few years, lots of real estate offices are a sure sign that a town is not only long discovered but being developed quickly. One nice side effect of that is that there is now a full time doctor available, who also happens to speak great English. After breakfast and after deciding that trucks driving by really shouldn't set off an echo chamber in my head I headed on over for a second opinion.

As I had feared, it looks like the water pressure from my oh so imperfect dismount caused me to blow out my right ear drum. It sounds worse that it is and I guess is fairly common. The only real blow is that I have to stay out of the water for three days to prevent infections as it heals and seals itself back up. Oh and I have to live through the humiliation of having Jen and Eric put eardrops in my ears thrice daily. (how you are supposed to count ten drops in each ear yourself I have no idea)

So a reminder of something I already knew, be extra aware of your dismounts as you jump off the board. I suppose this gives me some time to catch up on the work I have been too tired to do up to now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, hopefully the doctor you went to actually has a medical degree. I worry about you all getting hurt or sick in a foreign country. I'm concerned that 3 days may not be enough time to keep water out of your ear. Here is a link to the Mayo Clinic site wiht information on a perforated tympanic membrane (ear drum). http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ruptured-eardrum/DS00499

Anyway, the crackers look like matza. Try them with chopped liver.

Have a great time and stay safe.
Love, Mutti

Nic Pottier said...

Ya I had checked out the Mayo clinic article before visiting the doctor as well. The doctor seemed very professional and well educated, he asked lots of questions, checked both ears out and carefully explained what had happened and why I had to stay out of the water etc.. I have full faith in his diagnosis.

Getting seriously sick or injured is of course always the biggest worry when abroad, but this is something pretty minor really and I feel I was in good hands.

Unknown said...

I trust your judgment. Just let me know if I need to arrannge a medical airlift. :)